Thursday 10 November 2011

Opening Tangkou for customization


Today,  i started the customizing of my very first Tangkou doll! I took some pictures so i could share my new experiment working with her! I usually work with Blythe Dolls and i find it challenging and fun to customize another type of doll! Especially one who has so much in common with the doll i love the most! So there it is! I will make a step by step customizing process and will explain it as it goes! It shouldn't be more complicated than opening up RBL's but its worth sharing the differences! 











Removing the scalp first
The scalp from the inside




























There is no hard dome underneath her soft scalp. I removed it by pressing and squeezing the scalp all around the sides. The dry glue  has loosen up to break and released the bounding between the edges of the scalp and the top of the plates. It is a much thicker scalp than those of a regular Blythe! There is no fragile flange to break or damage by pulling on it !




























Note: There is two type of scalp on Tangkou, one with plugs (little holes) and one without.                               
The Mold BDSO1 & BDS04 have a scalp with plugs, rerooting plug by plug is possible
The Mold BDS02 & BDS03 have a plain scalp with easy removable wig, better for weft & wigs. 

Removing 2 springs inside the eye / switch mechanism
The 2 head parts are clipped together under the ear area, just like Blythe! The difference i found is that it is also bounded together by two little springs. These are essential to  make the mechanism and the switch work properly. I had to release and remove these springs in order to separate the head.


























Removing the two screws behind the head before unclipping both parts of the mask plates. 
I removed the 2 screws from the back of her head using a small X screwdriver and got the head open by pushing on each side of her ears to release the clips.
The body detached itself from the head and the switches parts as well.  Many little pieces to take care of. I stored every pieces in a safe place. I wouldn't want to lose anything as i have to put the poor thing back together later! 
Removing all 3 screws inside her mask plate to release the other pieces.
Once the head open,  i had to remove 3 more screws inside the face plate to release the remaining parts,  including the eyeballs. 


The last step was detaching the eyeballs from the eyelid part!  I noticed that the eyelashes are glued from the inside of the lids with no insertion hole. That will give me more latitude to work with her lashes.








3 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh thank you darling Laurie! That was really helpful information:) i really want to customise my new doll!
xxx Sylvie

Laurie Simard said...

You are very welcome Sylvie!
I can't wait to see what you will create with yours!
I will add some more informations and pictures in here,
as i work with her. If you have any questions eventually, let me know!
I will be happy to help if i can,
Laurie xx :)

Jean Katherine Baldridge said...

excellent and informative. we love Brian Froud too.

jean yates
jny_jeanpretty on flickr